My alma mater, the University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow is the fourth-oldest university in the English-speaking world and one of Scotland’s four ancient universities. Located in Glasgow, United Kingdom, the university was founded in 1451 and is currently one of nineteen British higher education institutions ranked amongst the top 100 of the world.
A major centre of the Scottish Enlightenment during the 18th century, in the 19th century (while continuing to educate the upper classes), Glasgow became a pioneer in British higher education by providing for the needs of students from the growing urban and commercial middle classes. Glasgow served all of these students by preparing them for professions: the law, medicine, civil service, teaching, and the church. It also trained smaller numbers for careers in science and engineering.
Glasgow has departments of Law, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Dentistry—a position that is unique amongst the other universities in Scotland.
Alumni of the University include six Nobel laureates, two British Prime Ministers and several leaders of Britain’s and Scotland’s major political parties.
- pizzahaute likes this
- eucalyptus-spearmint reblogged this from lookdeepintotheparka
- optimisticstorm reblogged this from lookdeepintotheparka
- lookdeepintotheparka reblogged this from juliassundial
- twist3dreality likes this
- firefawkes reblogged this from northernbriton
- juliassundial likes this
- northernbriton reblogged this from juliassundial and added:
- bearisland likes this
- bellicoserose likes this
- elphababess likes this
- liberaliscirculum reblogged this from juliassundial
- liberaliscirculum likes this
- alyciazu likes this
- dancngurl153 reblogged this from annie-wyatt
- annie-wyatt reblogged this from juliassundial
- publius-esquire likes this
- juliassundial posted this